The Managing Director, Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), Mallam Usman Gur-Mohammed said the company is on track to deliver its 20,000 megawatts (Mw) target by 2021.
Speaking yesterday in Kano, he said President Muhammadu Buhari has done a lot of work to support the company in the areas of transmission and expansion programme, which brought about the transmission network from 5,000 Mw in 2017 to 8,100 Mw it currently is.
According to him, the firm has achieved the level that has never been achieved in the history of the power sector. “As l speak to you now, our frequency control is the best in West Africa. This has never happened; we focus mostly on expansion, not looking at the quality of the power. But now we are not focusing on expansion and the quality of the power,” he said.
He spoke while fielding questions from newsmen shortly after inaugurating the 1×60 MVA 132/33KV transformer at Dan’agundi transmission substation Kano.
Court issues warning to CBN,NCC over Etisalat
A Federal High Court in Abuja has warned the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), the Nigerian Telecommunication Commission (NCC) and others involved in the transaction for the sale of troubled telecom firm Etisalat (9mobile) against taking further steps to conclude the sale.
The warning was informed by the claim by some aggrieved investors that despite a subsisting order of the court, made on October 10, last year, by Justice Binta Nyako, barring parties to the transaction from taking further steps pending the determination of the suit, the CBN, First Bank, and others have allegedly sold the firm and transferred its ownership.
The warning by the court is contained in Form 48 issued by the court’s Registrar, on institutions listed as defendants in the suit marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/288/2018 filed by the aggrieved shareholders, through Afdin Ventures Ltd and Dirbia Nigeria Ltd.
The Form 48 reads: “Take notice that unless you obey the directions contained in the order of the Federal High Court number three, Abuja, made on the 10th of October 2018 ordering parties to maintain status quo, with regard to the sale of Etisalat Nigeria Limited (rebranded 9mobile), you will be guilty of contempt of court and will be liable to be committed to prison.”
The affected defendants are Karington Telecommunications Ltd, Premium Telecommunications Holding NV, First Bank of Nigeria Plc, Central Bank of Nigeria, Etisalat International Nigeria Ltd (trading under the name and style of 9mobile) and the Nigerian Communication Commission.
The aggrieved subscribers, who claimed to be major investors in Etisalat, said they were excluded from the firm’s decision making and therefore want a refund of their investment estimated at $43,330,950.
Afdin and Dirbia, in newly filed court documents, alleged that the defendants have not only sold the company, despite the existing restraining order, but they have also effected a transfer of ownership to a new set of buyers.
They exhibited newspaper publications, indicating that the defendants have allegedly proceeded with the sale in breach of the pending court order.
The aggrieved shareholders, in a pre-action notice issued by their lawyer, Mahmud Magaji (SAN), are threatening to institute fresh suits against the CBN, NCC and First Bank in an effort to retrieve their investment and accrued interest.
The pre-action notice, copies of which were sighted in Abuja, were addressed to the CBN Governor and NCC Executive Vice Chairman/Chief Executive Officer.
Part of the notice reads: “The intending plaintiffs, who are shareholders in Etisalat Nigeria Ltd, having purchased a total number of 1, 300,391 at $13,003,910 only and 3,300,004 Class A shares at $30,030,040) intend to sue for the recovery of their investment, dividends on their shores, and damages for breach of contract.
“Please kindly recall that, by the custodian agreement, all the shares certificates of the plaintiffs were kept under your custody.
“However, you have failed to exercise your role in good faith leading to the sale of Etisalat Nigeria Limited to Teleology Nigeria Ltd, at the detriment of our clients.
Power Supply Averages 3,952MW
Despite the promise by the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, in October 2018 that nationwide power supply could get better with the anticipated addition of 945MW of electricity into the grid before the end of the year, the average power supply in January 2019 was below the December 2018 level, investigation has revealed.
A data obtained from the office of the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, showed that the average power generated and distributed to Nigerians in the first one month of 2019, was 3,952 megawatts (MW), representing a decline from the level of generation in December 2018, by 141MW or 3.4 percent.
According to the data from the Advisory Power Team in Osinbajo’s office, electricity supply in December 2018, averaged 4,093MW.
However, 3,020MW was constrained from getting to homes and offices in the country, while an average of N44.9 billion worth of revenue was not earned by the market.
To attain this level of generation, 22.713 million standard feet per day (mmscfd) of gas supplied.
However, in January 2019, the average volume slightly dropped to 3,952MW with 2,782MW constrained, N41.3 billion unearned and 21.472mmscfd of gas supplied, indicating a drop in gas supply to power plants by 1.241mmscfd.
Fashola had promised that the nationwide power supply could get better with an additional 945MW of electricity expected to be added to the national grid before the end of 2018.
The minister had while speaking at a business breakfast meeting of the Nigeria-South Africa Chamber of Commerce in Lagos which was themed: ‘Power Sector and the Way Forward,’ said then that additional power would be generated to the national grid from the 450MW Azura Edo power plant; 215MW Kaduna power plant; 240MW Afam-V power plant; and 40MW Kashimbilla hydro plant, by the end of 2018.
He had stated that the power sector had recorded successful improvements in its generation, transmission, and distribution sub-sectors.
But the January power supply data showed that only the 450MW-capacity Azura Edo power plant was on to the grid while the other three are not.
Azura had, however, in April 2018, announced the completion of its plant, indicating that all of its three turbines with a collective output of 450MW have been deployed in Nigeria’s national grid.
Additionally, four existing plants – Sapele; AES; ASCO and Olorunsogo NIPP plants were shut down within the period of January 2019, while power supply in 12 out of the 31 days in the month were below 4,000MW unlike in December 2018 when it was below 4,000MW only two days.
THISDAY gathered from the data that in January that the sector recorded a lot of water management issues, which according to experts, could have resulted from the gravity of water levels in the country’s hydropower plants, while other grid-related constraints also persisted during the month under review.
Celebrating 133 years of petrol-driven cars
The story of the first petrol-driven car cannot be complete without outlining the invaluable contributions of Karl Benz.
Benz provided the first patent for such a car on the 29th of January 1886. The first patent was a three-wheeled automobile called the Benz Patent-Motorwagen. The Motorwagen consisted of steel-spoked wheels, rubber tyres and was sold for 600 imperial marks which were about $4000 in today’s money.
The noteworthy means of transportation prior to Karl Benz’s motor was the “horseless carriages”. There was also the stream driven vehicle which was the handiwork of Richard Trevithick. The stream driven vehicle broke into the limelight in London and was widely acclaimed as the first of it’s kind. However, the Motorwagen, with its lightweight 954cc single-cylinder four-stroke engine, represented a real breakthrough because of its energy efficiency. It paved the way for the private motor car.
The birth of the motor car posed a threat to the coach companies and they tried to use government influence to stop its growth and influx into the market. This is reminiscent of the present hostilities between Uber and cab companies who see the former as a threat to their existence. In 1896, existing laws were repealed to make the operations of cars smoother and faster by removing the man who must walk in front of the early cars with a red flag. The early cars were preferred option because it was cheaper to produce than horses and carriages. Henry Ford’s entrance into the car manufacturing industry was a game changer and ensured that cars became cheaper to produce.
Town planners have never been too impressed with motor cars. The independence cars give drivers to choose to go wherever and whenever they deem fit is not something planners have been comfortable with. The ideal option for planners is to move people together in units to one-stop destinations. This makes public transport the chosen mode of transportation for those charged with the responsibility of planning urban and city centers. There have been attempts to stifle the growth and usage of private cars but it has not yielded any success.
In hindsight, the pollution and emission caused by petrol engines and the attendant health hazards have done a lot of harm. The age of the internal combustion engine that Benz ushered in is drawing to a close. Plans are at an advanced stage to ban fossil fuel engines from major cities across the world in a few years. This will not in any way bring an end to the era of private cars or the luxury and independence it has brought to people for decades. Self-driving cars and drones will make are the in thing now and it will be available to those unable to drive. There is still the issue of congestion and collision but artificial intelligence will most likely solve that conundrum.
Nigerians react to Atiku’s plan to privatise NNPC
Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar has said that the National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) will be privatised if elected as president.
According to Atiku, this is expected to stimulate economic growth. He added that since his vision is to make Nigeria a $1 trillion economy by 2023, he would equally privatise power and other critical national assets.
Addressing the business community with his running mate, Peter Obi, during a conference on “Getting Nigeria’s Economy Working: A Pragmatic Approach,” in Lagos, he argued that NNPC and the power sector must be disbanded through privatisation if they must be efficient.
He assured of his commitment to privatising the two national assets and others “even if they will kill me.”
The former Vice President spoke against the argument that the oil and gas sector might turn out to be the economy’s Achilles’ heel, in view of entrenched corruption and drain on national resources.
“Privatising NNPC would be to our advantage. We are not going to lose anything, but we will rather gain a lot,” he said.
Besides, he added, if former President Olusegun Obasanjo had accepted his suggestion in 1999 and 2007, challenges in the power sector would have been fixed since 2005.
“Nigeria would have been self-dependent on power since then because it does not need a centralised transmission plan, which is very costly, but a decentralised electricity system where each state or region is powered from the source of energy prevalent in the region.
“But the former President preferred the gas turbines, which I noted, was a long-term system, as it is now obvious.”
He lamented the high rate of unemployment in the country, especially among the youth, saying: “Youth unemployment is a time bomb, and very scary,” a situation he said, was responsible for increasing crime and criminal activities in the country.
“The rate of unemployment at 23.1 per cent is the highest ever recorded in the history of Nigeria. The situation is worse for women and young people – with unemployment in the youth population at 33 per cent by 2050, 40 per cent of the world’s poorest people will be in just two countries: Democratic Republic of Congo and Nigeria. We must take action to avert that.”
He insisted that creating jobs would not be a challenge, as he had already employed between 45 to 50,000 people in his private companies.
He said he would invest heavily in information and communication technology to fight corruption, and automate government processes to reduce human interface with money, while also instituting greater transparency and efficiency in governance.
Corroborating his views, Obi noted that there is nowhere else in the world where fighting corruption is an economic policy.
“The country is more corrupt today than it was yesterday. Once the principal is not corrupt, you would have reduced corruption by at least 70 per cent. If governance becomes automated, all leakages in ministries, departments, agencies (MDAs) will be eliminated,” he stated.
On restructuring, Atiku said he was supporting the move to ensure a reduction in the size of government, insisting, “I will ensure that I hand over some responsibilities to other components of government. That is why I am impatient to see that the country is restructured.”