Connect with us

Politics

NBC suspends license of AIT, Raypower

Published

on

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) Thursday wielded the big stick against Daar Communications Plc, owners of African Independent Television (AIT) and Raypower Radio, suspending its licence indefinitely.

 

With the suspension, announced in Abuja by NBC Director-General, Mallam Modibbo Kawu, the two broadcasting stations would be off the air until the matter is resolved.
The suspension came on the same day DAAR Communications founder, Chief Raymond Dokpesi, led management team of the organisation on a protest to the National Assembly and some embassies in Abuja over what he called harassment and intimidation of the company and its officials.

Kawu said at a news conference that the suspension of the licence of the organisation was due to the stations’ breaches of the broadcasting code.

He said: “Today, the 6th of June, 2019, AIT/Raypower embarked on the use of inflammatory, divisive, inciting broadcasts and media propaganda against the government and the NBC for performing its statutory functions of regulating the broadcast industry in Nigeria.

“Consequently, after several meetings with the management of Daar Communications Plc and many letters of warning, the NBC, today 6th June 2019, took a decision to suspend the licence of Daar Communications Plc for failure to abide by the commission’s directives, the provisions of the NBC Act Cap N11. The shutdown order is until further notice.”

He added that the NBC had been monitoring the stations for a long time and had issued warnings that were defied.

Kawu explained: “Following monitoring reports and complaints from concerned Nigerians about the broadcast contents of Daar Communications Plc’s AIT/Raypower broadcast stations, the NBC has over the last two years summoned on several occasions, management of the company to address issues regarding the operations of AIT/Raypower with the company, particularly, Political Platform and Kakaaki aired on AIT.

“In one of our meetings, held on 2nd June 2017, the commission expressed its disappointment with the way and manner hate speech, divisive and inciting comments are applied in the discussion of national issues in breach of the provisions of the NBC Act and Broadcast Code.

“Again, on 15th August 2017, it became imperative to invite the company for yet another meeting on almost the same issues. Furthermore, while addressing another meeting on 7th February 2018, we highlighted issues of concern to the commission, which indicated that the company had been breaching the provisions of Sections 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 of the Broadcast Code.

“The company’s delegates in their response promised to abate the breaches and comply with the law.

“However, on October 18, 2018, the commission was disturbed with the manner in which social media issues became part of the mainstream media unedited on AIT/Raypower, and was constrained to issue a generic letter to all broadcast stations on it.”

According to him, Daar Communications allegedly ignored all the warnings and even resorted to trying to incite the public against the commission.

Reacting to the suspension of the company’s operating licence, the Group Managing Director of Daar Communications Plc, Mr Tony Akiotu last night said that as a law-abiding corporate citizen, the organisation would abide by the NBC’s decision.

He, however, gave an indication that the company would be heading to court to challenge the closure of its broadcasting stations.

“As a law-abiding citizen, we’ve decided to abide by the closure order on the alleged breaches of the broadcasting code.

“As a law-abiding citizen, we will go to court for the court to interpret the laws of the land. We will go to court to seek redress, and that is the lawful thing to do and will do it expeditiously,” Akiotu said in a telephone interview.

Share Cheers!

Join us today, become a news contributor to The Liberty Times™ Put on your story-telling hat and send a story and Liberate your mind today! TOGETHER WE SPEAK, and THE WORLD LISTENS! Send your stories to email: admin@tlt.com.ng Use the hashtag #TLTNEWS247 | tweet to @TLTNEWS247 | fb messenger www.m.me/TLTNEWS247

Advertisement
Comments

Politics

INEC continues to deny existence of server

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) yesterday insisted that the results of the 2019 general election were not transmitted electronically to its server, stressing that the commission only experimented with the technology during some staggered elections held in 2018.


The commission said that the clarification was necessary because of rising controversy on the transmission of 2019 presidential election results from states to the INEC server.

Speaking during the post-election retreat organized by the commission for its staff and ad hoc staff engaged for the last general elections in Osun State, INEC National Commissioner, Mr. Solomon Soyebi, explained that many factors forced the commission to drop the idea of electronic transmission of the results to a central server.

Soyebi added that INEC experimented with electronic transmission of results during Anambra, Sokoto and Osun States’ elections held before 2019 elections but the commission did not sustain the use of the technology during the 2019 general election.

He maintained that the late release of INEC’s budget for the 2019 elections and controversy over the Electoral Act, among other reasons, forced the commission to jettison the idea of using the technology to transmit results to the central server.

He explained: “We piloted the use of transmission of election results electronically in Sokoto, in Anambra, even in Osun. What happened was that we were trying to pilot to see the desirability of such technology in our electoral process.

“First, our budget came out very late; there was also issue (with) the Electoral Act. For these and some other reasons, the commission did not adopt that option. 2019 elections were conducted according to law.

“We used the Constitution of the Federal Republic; we used the Electoral Act and our guidelines for 2019 elections. If you look at the three instruments carefully, the issue of the server was not highlighted.

“Once in a while, you will see an experiment going on but we have to pilot it before we will deploy wholesale for election.

Share Cheers!
Continue Reading

Politics

More foreign observers knock 2019 general elections

Published

on

Two United States’ institutes that monitored the 2019 general elections said yesterday that the election did not meet previous standards and the expectations of Nigerians. In their Joint report, presented in Abuja, the National Democratic Institute (NDI) and the International Republican Institute (IRI) said that 2019 elections were marred by irregularities, such as intimidation of voters/electoral officials, vote buying and election-related violence.

They also condemned the suspension of the former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, saying the judiciary plays a crucial role in post-election matters.

“Although many new political parties nominated candidates for the 2019 elections, the polls were largely a contest between the incumbent All Progressives Congress (APC) and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP); the APC hoped to renew the mandate of President Muhammadu Buhari and consolidate its majority in the National Assembly and of governorship. However, the party faced internal wrangling and defections of some key figures in the months to the polls.

“The PDP fielded former Vice President Atiku Abubakar as its standard bearer and, entering the process for the first time as an opposition party, challenged the APC: record, claiming the ruling party not kept its campaign promises to fight corruption, improve security and boost the economy’’, the report said.
The IRI/NDI observation mission said that the 2019 elections did not meet the expectations of many Nigerians.

On security and elections related-violence, the report said, “Ahead of the 2019 polls, the poor security situation in Nigeria, mainly attributed to Boko Haram’s resurgence in the North-east, inter-communal violence in the Middle Belt and widespread crime and banditry, raised concerns about the safety of voters and candidates.

“Increased politically-motivated violence and conflict in the pre-election period was also a concern, especially around political party primaries in some areas.’’

The report further stated that for many Nigerians, the 2019 elections-the sixth since the country’s 1999 transition back to civilian democratic rule, were an opportunity to consolidate democratic gains and build on sound electoral practices.

‘’Significant improvements in the administration of the 2011 and 2015 elections boosted expectations in the 2019 electoral process. Moreover, Nigeria’s first peaceful transfer of power between political parties following the 2015 elections underscored for Nigerians that credible elections matter,” the report said.

The joint report further said that the last-minute postponement of the presidential and National Assembly elections on February 16 showed that INEC had underestimated challenges associated with the administration of the elections.

According to the report, “the commission did not communicate sufficiently with political parties and the public about election preparations. Such a late postponement likely depressed voter turnout and created confusion about the duration of candidate and party.

‘’Most significantly, the delay also undermined public confidence in INEC. After the one-week postponement, it increased its public outreach and communications through regular press briefings. Since the polls, however INEC has been slow to release information, including detailed results.’’

The report said that the last-minute postponement of the presidential and National Assembly elections on the morning of February 16, and delays in opening some polling units and other administrative challenges on February 23 undermined public confidence in INEC.

Share Cheers!
Continue Reading

Politics

Ex-minister’s son abducted at gunpoint

Published

on

Some unknown gunmen on Tuesday evening abducted Dayo Adewole, who is the son of the immediate past Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole. The military, the police, security agents and local hunters were already on the trail of the kidnappers as at press time.

Prof. Isaac Adewole

The ex-minister has, however, been forced to cut short his trip abroad.

The abductors were yet to contact the family on their motive and the condition of their victim.
According to a source, Dayo was ambushed at gunpoint on his farm in Iroko, near Fiditi in Afijio Local Government Area of Oyo State at about 6 pm.

Although there were some employees with Dayo, the abductors went for him as a prime target.

It was gathered that the kidnappers later took Dayo away to an unknown destination.

A source said: “The villagers were alerted by the staff who survived the ordeal. Local hunters were mobilized by the Oniroko of Iroko.

“The hunters were said to have located the car of the abductors along the road to Iware village near Iroko
“But they are yet to locate Dayo’s whereabouts. It was suspected that the kidnappers might have changed their vehicle following persistent announcement on the radio after Oniroko had raised the alarm on air.”

Findings confirmed that the military, the police, and security agencies have joined forces with the villagers to search for Dayo.

A top official of the Federal Ministry of Health said: “We are in sad mood over the abduction. Dayo was a graduate of agriculture and he opted for farming.

“He has been managing his farm peacefully in Iroko until he was abducted by some gunmen on Tuesday.”

Responding to a question, the official said: “The ex-minister left for abroad last Thursday for recess but he is on his way back. He has cut short his trip.

“The military, the police, and other security agencies are on top of the situation.”

Share Cheers!
Continue Reading

Politics

Imo Governor suspends LG chairmen

Published

on

Imo State Governor Emeka Ihedioha has suspended chairmen, vice chairmen, councilors and political appointees of the local governments for six months. The suspension is contained in the instrument signed by the Governor, pursuant to the recommendation made to him by the Imo State House of Assembly.

This is in pursuant also, to the provisions of Sections 4, 5, and 6 of the Local Government Administration (Amendment) law, 2019 and S.73(3) of Imo State Local Government Administration Law No 15 of 2000 (as amended) and all other laws enabling him.

He set up Interim Management Committees to manage the affairs of each Local Government.
Consequently, the Directors of Administration and General Services(DAGS) of each Local Government have been directed to take over management, pending the confirmation of Interim Management Committees by the State Assembly.

He also removed the chairman and members of the Imo State Independent Electoral Commission (ISIEC).

This is following a resolution supported by a two-thirds majority of the State Assembly rendered on 6th June 2019 seeking their removal from office.
The action is also in accordance with the provisions of S.7(1) of the Imo State Independent Electoral Commission Law and all other extant laws of the State.

The Commission will be reconstituted in due course to put in place the machinery for conducting a credible election into the local governments.

The Governor further directed that these officers handover to the most senior civil servant in the Commission.

The governor also dissolved all statutory boards, corporations, agencies, and parastatals. This is in line with relevant enabling laws of the state.

A statement by his Chief Press Secretary Chibuike Onyeukwu directed the chairmen and sacked to handover to the most senior civil servant in their various establishments.

Share Cheers!
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Opinions expressed by our Contributors are their own. We have robust systems and procedures in place to check that all articles submitted and published are unique and exclusive to The Liberty Times™ Nigeria. If you need to flag any content as abusive, CLICK HERE to email us. LEARN MORE about becoming a News Contributor.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement INEC
Advertisement
Advertisement

Tags cloud

@lekkimodels

  • Image Credit: @iam__.shy 🌶🌶🌶
___________ 
Tag pics LekkiModels

Get a chance to win a ₦200K Professional Makeover + Photoshoot session. Get Featured + Get Scouted 🇳🇬🇬🇧🇺🇸 How? Follow us👍 + Tag pics #LekkiModels share www.lekkimodels.com 
___________

#fashion #nollywood #actress #style  #unilag #uniport#warri #lagos #instalagos #southafrica
#nigeria #hothot #booty #legwork #naturalhair #naturalbeauty #zanku 
#yellow #fashionphotography #picoftheday #beautiful #simple #naijagirlskillingit #mua #lagosphotographer
  • Image Credit: @iam__.shy 🌶🌶🌶
___________ 
Tag pics LekkiModels

Get a chance to win a ₦200K Professional Makeover + Photoshoot session. Get Featured + Get Scouted 🇳🇬🇬🇧🇺🇸 How? Follow us👍 + Tag pics #LekkiModels share www.lekkimodels.com 
___________

#fashion #nollywood #actress #style  #unilag #uniport#warri #lagos #instalagos #southafrica
#nigeria #hothot #booty #legwork #naturalhair #naturalbeauty #zanku 
#yellow #fashionphotography #picoftheday #beautiful #simple #naijagirlskillingit #mua #lagosphotographer
  • Image Credit: @iam__.shy 🌶🌶🌶
___________ 
Tag pics LekkiModels

Get a chance to win a ₦200K Professional Makeover + Photoshoot session. Get Featured + Get Scouted 🇳🇬🇬🇧🇺🇸 How? Follow us👍 + Tag pics #LekkiModels share www.lekkimodels.com 
___________

#fashion #nollywood #actress #style  #unilag #uniport#warri #lagos #instalagos #southafrica
#nigeria #hothot #booty #legwork #naturalhair #naturalbeauty #zanku 
#yellow #fashionphotography #picoftheday #beautiful #simple #naijagirlskillingit #mua #lagosphotographer

#ModelsOfAfricanOrigin LekkiHQ ➡ Get a chance to win a N200K Professional Makeover + Photoshoot session ➡ Follow us👍 ➡ Tag pics #LekkiModels ➡ Get Featured 🚀Get Scouted 🇳🇬🇬 www.tlt.ng/lekkimodels

@TLTNEWS247