Connect with us

SECURITY

South West to tackle security challenges

Published

on

The six governors of Southwest states are to be joined by the Inspector General of Police (IGP), heads of other security agencies and security experts for Tuesday’s security summit being organized by the governors.

The summit, which will hold at the Theophilus Ogunlesi Multipurpose Hall, opposite University College Hospital (UCH) main gate, Ibadan, will gather ideas from the experts on how to find a permanent solution to insecurity in the region.

The summit is being organized by the Development Agenda for Western Nigeria (DAWN) Commission for the Governors.

The summit was a response to the rising wave of kidnapping and armed robbery across the region.
The governors took the decision in Abuja a fortnight ago after President Muhammadu Buhari held a security meeting with all the governors on the news to end violence, kidnapping and other forms of insecurity that is growing in the country.
DAWN Director General, Mr. Seye Oyeleye, assured last week that the summit would not be a jamboree or a mere academic gathering that will end with mere fanfare. He said the outcome would be concrete ideas that are implementable by the six governors.

At the summit, a police Assistant Inspector General (AIG) in charge of Oyo, Osun and Ondo states, Leye Oyebade, will present lead papers along with Prof. Femi Odekunle and Prof. Olutayo Adesina. Opeyemi Agbaje, Mrs. Bamidele Olateju, AIG James Olatunji and the Group Managing Director of Odu’a Investments Ltd. will lead panel discussions.

Also expected are National Assembly members, traditional rulers, socio-cultural groups including the Odu’a People’s Congress (OPC) led by Aare Gani Adams, Mr. Deji Osibogun, Yorubakoya, Afenifere, Yoruba Council of Elders, Agbekoya and Majeobaje, among others.

 

Share Cheers!

Join us today, become a news contributor to The Liberty Times™ Put on your story-telling hat and send a story and Liberate your mind today! TOGETHER WE SPEAK, and THE WORLD LISTENS! Send your stories to email: admin@tlt.com.ng Use the hashtag #TLTNEWS247 | tweet to @TLTNEWS247 | fb messenger www.m.me/TLTNEWS247

Advertisement
Comments

SECURITY

Ortom raises alarm over illegal entry of herdsmen

Published

on

Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State has again appealed to the federal government to check the illegal entry of foreign herdsmen into Nigeria.

Governor Ortom

He claimed that the illegal herdsmen attacked Nigerians, especially farmers. Ortom made the appeal when he visited one Mrs Wanhena Cheku, a victim of herders attack, now recuperating at the Federal Medical Centre in Makurdi.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reported that Cheku’s left hand was cut off in an attack on her farm at Mbagwem community in the Guma Local Government Area of the state.

Benue, described as Nigeria’s food basket, has witnessed repeated bloody attacks on villagers in recent years by herdsmen.

Ortom said it was wrong for foreign herders to gain free entry into the country and perpetrate atrocities at will.

He said the federal government needed to close the country’s borders to all foreign herders to mitigate growing cases of attacks on citizens.

“It is wrong to allow herdsmen from Mali, Niger, Chad, others, to find their way into Nigeria to commit atrocities and go back to their countries. “Most countries in the world will not accept this,” he stated.

Ortom, who was accompanied to the hospital by his wife, Eunice, regretted that Cheku was passing through pains for no crime of hers.

He, however, said that security operatives were on the trail of the herders, who attacked the woman.

“You can imagine the pains the attackers have put this woman into.

“There have been cases of missing persons in the state. If she had died in that jungle where she was attacked, nobody will be talking about her now,” Ortom said.

On the possible closure of IDPs camps in Benue State, Ortom said that most IDPs had returned to farming because they would not continue to remain in the camps forever.

“This is an isolated case, most of our people have gone back to farming and it is also an eye-opener. We will meet the security chiefs to encourage the officers to be more responsive,” he said.

Share Cheers!
Continue Reading

SECURITY

Army chief says war can’t end insurgency

Published

on

The Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, Monday said that Boko Haram and other terror groups operating in the country cannot be defeated by warfare alone.

Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Yusuf Buratai

He said that finding appropriate narratives that will counter the ideologies of the terror groups will greatly enhance the efforts of the Nigerian Army against terrorism and terrorist groups.

Buratai, who observed that terrorism cannot be totally eliminated, noted that the insurgents’ belief in their ideologies remains their strongest driving force, adding that it is easier to kill members of a terrorist group than to eliminate their ideologies.

The COAS stated this at the opening ceremony of a Spiritual Warfare Seminar organized by the Nigerian Army for religious leaders and clerics at the Army Resource Centre in Abuja.
Buratai, who was represented at the event by Major General Sani Yusuf, said that the seminar was aimed at evolving narratives to defeat the ideologies of religious-based terrorist groups operating in the country.

He challenged the religious leaders to produce appropriate narratives that can effectively counter the ideologies of the insurgents, urging them to leverage on their daily interface with the society to protect the vulnerable people from succumbing to wrong ideologies.

According to him, “the Nigerian Army has attained great feats in the fight against the insurgents, breaking their ranks and degrading their will to fight, however the insurgents’ belief in their ideologies remain the driving force, as such ideological battle can in many ways be more important than the kinetic battle. It just that it is easier to kill members of a terrorist group than to eliminate their ideologies.

“It is a well-known fact that terrorism and terrorist groups cannot be totally eliminated by mainly Military actions, this means focusing our efforts on the underlying narratives through ideologies that employed by these terrorists to lure innocent citizens to their fold.

Share Cheers!
Continue Reading

SECURITY

FG to drag judge before NJC for granting Sowore bail

Published

on

There were indications last night that the federal government was contemplating reporting Justice Taiwo Taiwo, to the National Judicial Council (NJC) on account of his decision to grant bail to the convener of #RevolutionNow protest, Mr Omoyele Sowore.

Justice Taiwo of the Federal High Court in Abuja admitted Sowore to bail on Tuesday and dismissed the objection raised by the Department of State Security (DSS) to the bail.

Shocked Nigerian security and intelligence community met on the matter yesterday and resolved to appeal the judgement.

It also decided to petition the NJC on the issue.
A top government source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said that anyone standing trial for a treasonable felony is not entitled to bail.

He said:” Sowore’s bail is likely to bring trouble for that judge. A report has been prepared to report him to NJC in view of the fact that, as far as this country, it is known that a person charged treasonable felony has no bail option.

“So, the security and intelligence community in the country is shocked by the judgement.

“And there is a consensus that the judgement should not only be appealed but that the NJC should be petitioned about the conduct and abuse of power by the judge.”

Sowore was arrested and kept in the custody of the DSS since 3rd of August, 2019, for allegedly calling for “revolution” through the group’s protest fixed for 5th of September 2019.
Sowore on Thursday commenced a contempt suit against the Director-General of the DSS, Yusuf Bichi, for allegedly disobeying the order granting him bail.

On Wednesday his lawyers submitted his passport to a Deputy Chief Registrar of the court.

Share Cheers!
Continue Reading

SECURITY

Red Cross: 22,000 Nigerians missing in North-east

Published

on

Nearly 22,000 Nigerians have been reported missing in the North-east region due to a decade of conflict in the area, according to the President of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Peter Maurer.

Maurer told reporters Thursday in Lagos that the figure is the highest number of missing persons registered with the ICRC in any country.
He also said millions of people had also been displaced due to the conflict.

In 2018, the Global Terrorism Index ranked Nigeria as the third most terrorized country in the world, for the fourth consecutive year.

ICRC, in a statement, said nearly 60 percent of the missing Nigerians were minors at the time they went missing.

“Every parent’s worst nightmare is not knowing where their child is. This is the tragic reality for thousands of Nigerian parents, leaving them with the anguish of a constant search.

“People have the right to know the fate of their loved ones, and more needs to be done to prevent families from being separated in the first place.

“Families in North-east Nigeria are often separated while fleeing attacks. Others have had loved ones abducted or detained and do not know their whereabouts. The ICRC works with the Nigerian Red Cross and other Red Cross and Red Crescent societies in the region to trace missing people by showing photographs, calling out names, and going door-to-door in camps and communities,” Maurer said.

Share Cheers!
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Opinions expressed by our Contributors are their own. We have robust systems and procedures in place to check that all articles submitted and published are unique and exclusive to The Liberty Times™ Nigeria. If you need to flag any content as abusive, CLICK HERE to email us. LEARN MORE about becoming a News Contributor.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement INEC
Advertisement
Advertisement

Tags cloud

@TLTNEWS247