Connect with us

National News

Nigeria’s power generation drops to 3,390MW

Published

on

Nigeria’s power generation dropped to 3,390.7 megawatts on Monday as seven plants, including three built under the National Integrated Power Project, sat idle.

Electricity generation has been hovering around 2,600MW and 3,800MW as of 6.00 am every day since the start of this month, according to data obtained by our correspondent. It plunged to 2,692.7MW on June 7.

Seven power plants, namely Afam IV&V, Alaoji NIPP, Olorunsogo NIPP, Gbarain NIPP, Okpai IPP, AES IPP and ASCO IPP, did not generate any megawatts of electricity as of 6.00 am on Monday.

Total generation fell slightly to 3,429MW as of 6.00 am on Sunday from 3,461.7MW on Saturday, data from the Nigeria Electricity System Operator, an arm of the Transmission Company of Nigeria, showed.

The amount of electricity produced by the nation’s 27 power plants stood at 3,898.9MW as of 6.00 am on Friday, the highest level achieved so far this month at that time of the day.

The plants generated 4,050MW as of 6.00 am on May 30 but their total output dropped to 3,161.6MW on June 1, according to the data.

The system operator put the nation’s installed generation capacity at 12,910.40MW; available capacity at 7,652.60MW; transmission wheeling capacity at 8,100MW; and the peak generation ever attained at 5,375MW.

The nation generates most of its electricity from gas-fired power plants, while output from hydropower plants makes up about 30 per cent of the total.

Last month, the power grid experienced what the Managing Director of TCN, Mr Usman Mohammed, described as the worst system instability since he assumed office.

The data from the system operator showed that power generation plunged to zero megawatt as of 6.00 am on May 9 and 10.

The TCN, which manages the national grid, is still fully owned and operated by the government.

The grid has continued to suffer system collapse over the years amid a lack of spinning reserve that is meant to forestall such occurrences. It has suffered seven collapses so far this year.

Spinning reserve is the generation capacity that is online but unloaded and that can respond within 10 minutes to compensate for generation or transmission outages.

Out of the five power stations meant to provide spinning reserves, none has any actual reserve, with the contracted reserve put at 295MW.

The power stations are Egbin, Delta, Olorunsogo NIPP, Geregu NIPP and Omotosho NIPP.

More than five years after the privatisation, the investors who took over the six generation companies and 11 distribution companies that emerged after the unbundling of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria are still grappling with the old problems in the sector.

The sector is plagued with problems of gas supply shortages, limited distribution networks, limited transmission line capacity, huge metering gap, electricity theft, and high technical and commercial losses, among others.

The financial viability of the Nigerian electricity supply industry remains the most significant challenge threatening the sustainability of the power sector, according to the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission.

Share Cheers!

Join us today, become a news contributor to The Liberty Times™ Put on your story-telling hat and share a story to Liberate your mind today! TOGETHER WE SPEAK, and THE WORLD LISTENS! Send your stories to email: admin@tlt.com.ng Use the hashtag #TLTNEWS247 | tweet to @TLTNEWS247 | fb messenger www.m.me/TLTNEWS247

Advertisement
Comments

Politics

Obasanjo writes Buhari, says Nigeria reaching a tipping point

Published

on

Former president Olusegun Obasanjo on Monday wrote an open letter to President Muhammadu Buhari, saying, “Nigeria is on the precipice and dangerously reaching a tipping point where it may no longer be possible to hold danger at bay”.

Olusegun Obasanjo

Obasanjo, in the letter released by his media aide, Kehinde Akinyemi said, he intended to use the open letter to address weighty issues.

In the letter to Buhari, Obasanjo said, “I am constrained to write to you this open letter. I decided to make it an open letter because the issue is very weighty and must be greatly worrisome to all concerned Nigerians and that means all right-thinking Nigerians and those resident in Nigeria.

Addressing the issue of security Obasanjo said, “The issue I am addressing here is very serious; it is the issue of life and death for all of us and for our dear country, Nigeria. This issue can no longer be ignored, treated with nonchalance, swept under the carpet or treated with cuddling gloves.

“The issue is hitting at the foundation of our existence as Nigerians and fast eroding the root of our Nigerian community. I am very much worried and afraid that we are on the precipice and dangerously reaching a tipping point where it may no longer be possible to hold danger at bay.

The former president revealed that he was worried about the state of insecurity in the country, having fought in the Nigerian civil war and also having a son, who is fighting Boko Haram.

He said, “When people are desperate and feel that they cannot have confidence in the ability of government to provide security for their lives and properties, they will take recourse to anything and everything that can guarantee their security individually and collectively.

“For over ten years, for four of which you have been the captain of the ship, Boko Haram has menacingly ravaged the land and in spite of government’s claim of victory over Boko Haram, the potency and the activities of Boko Haram, where they are active, remain undiminished, putting lie to government’s claim.”

Obasanjo waved aside the recent explanation of Major Gen Tukur Buratai, who said victory over Boko Haram had not been achieved as a result of lack of commitment and motivation on the part of troops.

He said, “The recent explanation of the Chief of Army Staff for non-victory due to lack of commitment and lack of motivation on the part of troops bordering on sabotage speaks for itself.

“Say what you will, Boko Haram is still a daily issue of insecurity for those who are victimised, killed, maimed, kidnapped, raped, sold into slavery and forced into marriage and for children forcibly recruited into carrying bombs on them to detonate among crowds of people to cause maximum destructions and damage.”

Share Cheers!
Continue Reading

Politics

I will no longer nominate unknown persons for ministerial positions – Buhari

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari says he will no longer nominate unknown persons for ministerial positions but only tested hands.

In a maiden meeting with the leadership of the National Assembly, Buhari also said that only those tasted and capable of delivering on assigned mandates will make the ministerial list.

At the meeting held at the new Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa, Abuja, on Thursday night, Buhari said he was under intense pressure to constitute the Federal Executive Council (FEC).

He however said despite the pressure, only those with track records, honesty and credibility would be appointed.

“Many at this dinner meeting are saying they want to see the list of the proposed cabinet so that they can go on leave peacefully.

“I’m very much aware about it; I’m under tremendous pressure on it. But the last cabinet which I headed, most of them, the majority of them I didn’t know them. I had to accept the names and recommendations from the party and other individuals.

“I worked with them for three and half years at least – meeting twice or two weeks in a month. So I know them.

“But, this time around I’m going to be quiet me – me in the sense that I will pick people I personally know,’’ he said.

He, therefore, enjoined the lawmakers to partner with the executive arm in leaving good legacies for the country as his administration was on its last lap.

The president advised the National Assembly to always avoid comparing their parliamentary procedures with that of advanced democracies such as the United States and the United Kingdom.

The President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, who spoke to State House correspondents after the meeting, refuted media report quoting him as saying that President Buhari would submit the ministerial list to the senate this week.

He said: “Let me take the opportunity to correct that. A senator raised a point of order under personal explanation.

“He said we should be sent the list of the ministers by the executive arm of government and in my response I said the executive is working so hard to ensure that the list of Nigerians that will help this administration work is going to be transmitted and we could even receive it this week.

“We could’ is conditional and I will urge everybody here to report it as it is,” he said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that others at the meeting included the Deputy Senate President Ovie Omo-Agege; Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr Femi Gbajabiamila and the Deputy Speaker, Ahmed Idris Wase.

The National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Comrade Adams Oshiomhole and other presidential aides also attended the meeting.

Share Cheers!
Continue Reading

National News

Fatal explosion claims lives in Lagos

Published

on

Many people are feared dead after a pipeline exploded in Ijegun, a suburb of Lagos. The explosion which occurred at the wee hours of Thursday was said to have been caused by vandals who had tampered with the pipelines and left it unguarded. Already, men of the Lagos State Fire Service are at the scene battling the raging fire.


According to the Chief Executive Officer, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency(LASEMA), Dr. Femi Oke Osanyintolu, the explosion occurred when security operatives intercepted the suspected vandals who were engaged in illegal siphoning of petroleum products from the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) pipeline in the area.
He said the suspected oil thieves had already loaded a 33,000 litre tanker and were on the verge of loading the second tanker of the same capacity when security agents showed up and in a bid to escape arrest, the suspects set a fire which was aided by the fuel that spilled in the drainage as a result of the vandalism.
The statement from LASEMA reads, “The above incident occurred this morning July 4, 2019, at 5 am. On arrival of LRT to the scene of the incident, it was gathered that some vandals were engaged in bunkering activities at Fire Junction, Ijegun within the vicinity where an NNPC pipeline was buried.
“The vandals had already siphoned petrol into a 33,000litre tanker. While a second tanker of the same capacity was being loaded, security agencies suddenly intercepted the vandals.
“While trying to escape from the security agencies, some of the siphoned fuel spilled into the drainage and the vandals were alleged to have set the spilled fuel on the fire in a bid to deter the security agencies from apprehending them.
“The fire then spread back to the pipeline, the point where the vandals had siphoned the fuel and exploded with escalating fire which led two fatalities and over 30 vehicles burnt.
“The actual loss will be determined upon conducting post-disaster enumeration after the fire has been put out.”

Share Cheers!
Continue Reading

Politics

Buhari pledges to revisit electoral laws

Published

on

The Presidency on Tuesday welcomed endorsement of 2019 Presidential Elections, described as free, fair and credible, by 60 presidential candidates and chairmen of their parties, urging opposition to accept loss with grace and maturity.

According to a statement by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu in Abuja on Tuesday, the Presidency was reacting to the press conference of the Joint Forum of the candidates.

He said the Presidency assured Nigerians that President Muhammadu Buhari would look into the Electoral Act as the candidates had advised.

”We are encouraged by the patriotism of the Presidential Candidates expressed in clear and matured language.

”We are convinced that, regardless of our different political persuasions we can work together to improve electoral integrity in Nigeria,’’ Shehu said.

He added that the ”Presidency is in agreement with the Joint Forum that despite the temporary setbacks experienced at the beginning, INEC managed to produce an election in which the voice of the ordinary people counted.

”Democracy is founded on the will of the people and INEC did well to ensure this outcome was achieved in the 2019 elections.’’

Shehu restated that “the success of democracy does not only depend on electoral laws, but also on behaviour, character and attitude of politicians.’’

He also reiterated that “do-or-die politics is a threat to the success of electoral laws and democracy. “And you don’t need to kill in order to serve the people.’’

The Presidential aide said the presidency assured members of the joint forum of the 60 political parties and chairmen of parties that the President would not spare any effort in signing the Electoral Act into law after looking into it.

Share Cheers!
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Opinions expressed by our Contributors are their own. We have robust systems and procedures in place to check that all articles submitted and published are unique and exclusive to The Liberty Times™ Nigeria. If you need to flag any content as abusive, CLICK HERE to email us. LEARN MORE about becoming a News Contributor.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement INEC
Advertisement
Advertisement

Tags cloud

@lekkimodels

  • Instagram Image
  • Instagram Image
  • Instagram Image

#ModelsOfAfricanOrigin LekkiHQ ➡ Get a chance to win a N200K Professional Makeover + Photoshoot session ➡ Follow us👍 ➡ Tag pics #LekkiModels ➡ Get Featured 🚀Get Scouted 🇳🇬🇬 www.tlt.ng/lekkimodels

@TLTNEWS247